+44 3300 562 555 | jamie@experttravelservices.co.uk


Travelling to The EU after Brexit

 Extra documents that you might need for your post-Brexit, EU trip.


A Valid Passport

From 1st January 2021, your passport will need to have at least 6 months of validity and be less than 10 years old. (Unless travelling to Ireland, there you can continue using your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay).

You can still travel with your ‘European Union’ ( burgundy) passport after Brexit. When you renew your current passport, you will be issued with a new blue, British passport. 


Tourists will be able to stay in the EU for 90 days in a 180 period, but if you are hoping to stay for longer to work, study or you are travelling for business you may need a visa. This will depend on the entry requirements of the country(s) you’re staying in, so we will check these before you travel.

ID Cards

From 1st October 2021, changes to the government legislation will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss national can only travel to the UK using a valid passport, unless they have applied to the EU settlement scheme or otherwise have protected rights under the Citizen’s Rights Agreements.

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals in the groups above can still use their ID cards to travel to the UK until at least 31st December 2025. They’ll also be able to use them after that date, if the cards meet the security standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization. This will also not apply to Gibraltar ID cards issued to British citizens or to passport card issued to Irish citizens, they will continue to be accepted for travel to the UK.


If you’re taking your own vehicle, you will need a UK sticker, unless your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack). You’ll need valid vehicle insurance, and must carry your UK driving license with you.  An international driving permit (IDP) may also be required to drive in some EU countries and Norway.

For more information check with the embassy of the country you’ll be driving in.

Travel insurance 

Now the UK has left the EU you will still be able to rely on your EHIC for healthcare overseas until it reaches its expiry date. After this, you will be able to apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) which will cover you for state healthcare in the EU country you’re visiting.

 An EHIC or GHIC covers state healthcare, not private treatment, it is not a replacement for travel insurance. It is advised that you take out travel insurance as the EHIC or GHIC does not cover everything. 

These European countries do not accept the EHIC or GHIC:

  • The Channel Islands, including Guernsey, Alderney and Sark
  • The Isle of Man
  • Monaco
  • San Marino
  • The Vatican

 For more information about Healthcare for Uk Nationals visiting the EU, please see the government guidance in the link below:

Healthcare for UK nationals visiting the EU